Enabling every pupil to find their own voice
Music is very popular at Monkton and over half our students play an instrument. The Music Centre comprises 12 teaching and practice rooms, a music technology classroom, a music library/listening room, fully sound-proofed rooms for drums, percussion and singing, a recording studio, and 100-seat rehearsal hall with a Steinway Model B Grand Piano. There are upright pianos in all other rooms, and the Assembly Hall is equipped with a second Steinway Grand Piano. A large collection of orchestral instruments which can be hired out to students. The Chapel houses a fine two-manual organ of Willis origin and in the Assembly Hall there is a Steinway grand piano.
This course gives students the opportunity to develop their understanding of a range of different kinds of music through the processes of listening and appreciation, performance and composition. Some proficiency in an instrument is advisable but no minimum standard is required. The course is divided into Coursework performing and composing; listening and appraising and integrated assignment.
It is desirable, but not essential, to have taken Music at GCSE. However a reasonable proficiency with an instrument is needed, with a standard equivalent to Grade 6, and it will be advantageous to have passed the Associated Board Grade 5 theory exam. Candidates will gain a knowledge and understanding of music as a performer and a composer and will gain an insight into putting music into its historical and social context through Areas of Study. These areas include performing music, composing, developing musical understanding, extended performance, composition and technical study, and further musical understanding.
Monkton's Music Centre
In February 2012, Monkton opened a new 3.2m Music Centre at the Senior School. This outstanding facility houses:
- a state-of-the-art rehearsal hall with digital recording facilities, equipped with a Steinway Model B grand piano for major ensembles with the capacity to accommodate an audience of 70 for recitals, plus a mezzanine viewing gallery.
- 12 instrumental teaching and practice rooms each with an upright piano, sound-proofed and air-conditioned.
- a music library and listening room.
- a classroom for up to 24 pupils, fully networked and cabled, equipped with Apple Mac composing work-stations with sequencing and notation software.
- air-conditioned and fully sound-proofed percussion and rock studios.
- a recording studio and production room.
To view some images of the Music Centre, please visit our gallery.
Get more info about Academic Music…
MusicCalendarLent2018.pdf Size: 2.56 MB
Music Diary for LentTerm 2018Download »
To arrange a visit, or for any other enquiries regarding admissions at the Senior School, please contact our Registrar, Mrs Carole Heritage on 01225 721 133
To arrange a visit, or any other enquiries at the Pre-Prep and Prep please contact Nicky Davis on 01225 831 238.
Give us a call:
Tel: +44 (0)1225 721 133
Or send us an email:
email@example.com for Senior School enquiries
firstname.lastname@example.org for Pre-Prep and Prep enquiries