Catering at Monkton
Serving healthy, fresh and responsibly sourced food
Follow our blog for the latest news: http://eatsmartatmonkton.org/
Palmer and Howells are delighted to cater for pupils, teaching staff, hospitality and special events at Monkton. We have been working with the School since 2008 and are pleased to be a part of such an energetic community.
As a small West Country based contract catering company we provide high quality catering services to the independent school sector and operate 20 contracts in our portfolio.
We take great pride in providing a first class service with fresh ingredients that are locally sourced and prepared from scratch wherever possible. We provide ongoing training to encourage the development of the catering team and individuals, ensuring the best possible standards of food production, hygiene, safety and customer service.
We like to think of ourselves as part of the School family, welcoming any opportunities to support the curriculum by holding relevant theme days, cookery demonstrations and workshops and actively encouraging healthy food choices through nutritional messages in our dining rooms.
Our termly menus will be uploaded here for you to view the selection of dishes on offer. If you have any suggestions or questions relating to catering at Monkton please contact Steve Brown on 01225 721189 or via email at email@example.com
The P&H promise
- We actively encourage healthy food choices through nutritional messages.
- We use only lean, high quality meat that can be traced back to source.
- We cater sensitively for individual requirements including special diets and allergies.
- Our menus are checked and approved for nutritional content.
- Menus are created by head chefs taking into consideration the school’s culture and locality.
- Local suppliers are used wherever possible and carefully selected for their high standards.
- We firmly believe in teamwork, employee development and continuous improvement.
- We respect our environment and are committed to reducing food waste.
- Our dining halls are sociable spaces offering service with a smile.
- We highlight and inform about the journey of food from field to fork.
Knowing where our food comes from is fundamental to ensuring good nutrition for the pupils and staff. Our Company ethos supports the School’s desire to use local suppliers whenever possible. We respect our environment and are committed to reducing food waste. We believe that high quality local produce not only helps to narrow the gap between the farm and the table but promotes the regional economy and strengthens links within the community.
Most of our suppliers are from the South West and are carefully selected for their high standards and the quality of their produce. We practice what we preach; our Head Office team checks all suppliers’ background before purchasing their produce and take the time to go through their certifications, ensuring they comply with our high standards all the time. This process guarantees that our pupils and staff get fresh, seasonal and delicious food on their plate.
We love to visit our suppliers and do so regularly to test food when it comes into season. We also make sure our products are sustainable and compliant with environmental health regulations.
• The bread we do not make on site ourselves is supplied by Hobbs House Bakery which sits on the edge of the Medieval market town of Chipping Sodbury where they have been baking since 1980. They employ 20 skilled bakers and use traditional overnight methods to produce real bread, with a difference that you can taste. Hobbs House Bakery are Soil Association accredited and make a range of organic breads too.
• Our dairy produce comes from Ivy House Farm in Beckington. Ivy House farm use sustainable farming systems to nurture their 120 grass-fed Jersey cows. Purchasing their milk and cream supports the countryside and its community.
• Our meat is supplied by Dennis Family Butchers who works closely with farmers to ensure that only the best animals are selected for their Devon & Cornwall prime range. All Devon and Cornwall Prime cattle is born, raised and reared in these counties which are known for their top quality farming.
• Our fruit and vegetables are supplied by local specialist business, Lovejoys. A large amount of their vegetables are grown exclusively in nearby Bromham and the surrounding area. Lovejoys supply us with high quality fruit and vegetables and they endeavour to supply us as much local produce as possible following the traditional seasons to keep food miles low and help the local economy.
At Palmer & Howells our passion for high standards, superb food and imaginative menus can really shine through at Monkton. We continually strive to provide healthy, nutritious and appealing dishes for our multi-cultural community across all three schools.
We believe in these key ingredients to plan all our menus:
• Fresh, local seasonal produce
• Healthy & nutritious dishes
• Creative menus written using authentic recipes and prepared by skilled chefs.
Our menus are created by our Head Chefs taking into consideration the School’s cultural diversity. We like to include international and exotic flavours in our recipes and hence there will be occasions where some ingredients will have to be sourced from outside the UK. Please see our current menus in the PDF download section.
We work closely with staff and pupils throughout the School to ensure we deliver the appropriate style of food offering for each age group. Our School Council and Food Committee meetings allow us to trial new dishes and snacks and get instant feedback. The format allows us to gather information on recent meals and special theme days which we use to guide our future menu planning. We also use these meetings to explore diet and nutritional topics with the pupils.
Please see the most recent minutes in the PDF download section.
All pupils, parents and staff are invited to communicate directly with the catering team to provide feedback, if they wish, via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our catering team
The team of 40 staff covering both Prep and Senior School sites provide around 9,000 meals a week to the School community.
Regular training and development is important to us and we ensure that the School benefits from a knowledgeable and competent catering team. Training plans are compiled for all our team taking into account individual’s considerations, aspirations, abilities and areas of improvement. All staff are trained to at least Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) Level 2 in Food Hygiene. The supervisory and management team are trained to CIEH Level 3 Supervising Food Safety. Our front-line customer service staff also receive regular training on topics like customer care and diet & nutrition to make sure we provide the best experience possible.
Our Chefs are experienced professionals with City & Guilds 706/1 & 2 or NVQ 2 or 3. In addition they enjoy development opportunities with our suppliers every half-term. A number of Chef Development Days & Managers Meetings across the year provide a support network to share successes, learn from other experiences and explore new ideas and initiatives to continually improve the service that we offer.
Palmer & Howells works with training centres around the South West to develop its staff at senior level. Managers and senior chefs study Institute of Leadership & Management (ILM) Level 2, 3 and 5 qualifications.
Please visit our gallery for the opening of the Spear Dining Room at the Prep School.
To arrange a visit, or for any other enquiries regarding admissions at the Senior School, please contact our Registrar, Mrs Carole Heritage on 01225 721 133
To arrange a visit, or any other enquiries at the Pre-Prep and Prep please contact Nicky Davis on 01225 831 238.
Give us a call:
Tel: +44 (0)1225 721 133
Or send us an email:
email@example.com for Senior School enquiries
firstname.lastname@example.org for Pre-Prep and Prep enquiries